We welcome the addition of the Wilson-Kring Farm Barn on Lopez Island to the Washington State Heritage Barn Register! John Wilson, who came to Lopez from Michigan in 1892, had a 80-acre dairy farm with his father-in-law, George Boulton. Gerhart and Frances (Gallanger) Kring later farmed the property. Although the farm was primarily dairy-based, the barn was also used for all kinds of livestock, including cattle, sheep, and pigs.
The barn has two parts: a 46′ wide by 70′ long, 31’9″ high broken gable roof section used for hay, grain storage, and horse stalls and a 30′ wide by 36′ long addition to the east that contains a ‘modern’ milking parlor, complete with concrete floors and manure gutters and pipe stanchions . There are also a farmhouse and blacksmith shop on the property.
Not only was the Wilson-Kring Farm Barn recently listed on the Washington Heritage Barn Register, but it was also the recipient of a 2015-2017 Biennium Heritage Barn Rehabilitation Grant! The matching funds will be used to re-roof the structure. The barn, whose former milking parlor has been converted to horse stalls, is currently used by the Buffum family’s Majestic Farms for the Lopez 4H Horse Rangers Program, hosted school groups, and Pony Club as well as visits by off-islanders and even foreigners.