ADVISORY! Most of the barns in the San Juan Islands are privately owned. The goal of this website is to provide information about these historic barns while respecting barn owners’ private property. Many barns can be viewed from public right-of-ways. Please respect those barns that are on private property and do not trespass!
Decatur Log Barn. This simple broken-gable roofed structure consists of a central gable section constructed of peeled, unhewn logs and two flanking wood frame sheds.
Ericksen Barn, Prevost. The Ericksen barn was built in 1908 by Erick Tobias Ericksen (1869-1934), who was born, raised, and married Kristine Marie Christiansen (1871-1949) in Norway. The Ericksens and their growing family of three children (with seven more to come) arrived on Stuart Island in 1902, through Marie’s brother, P.N. Christiansen, who was the Keeper at Turn Point Light Station. In addition to farming–eggs, dairy products, geese, and turkeys, among many crops–Erick cut cordwood for the mail boat and the kilns at Roche Harbor and Marie was postmistress at Prevost from 1910-1940. The barn, which is oriented north-south, is 40′ by 50′ and includes a 15-foot shed for milking dairy cows. It has a broken gable roof, and is constructed with log posts and beams and dimensional lumber rafters. According to the August 29, 1908 San Juan Islander, it was constructed with the help of neighbor Willis Maxfield, and, according to Jim Bergquist’s The History of Stuart Island, Erick and Marie’s oldest daughter Martha.
Turn Point Lighthouse Mule Barn, Turn Point. This barn is part of the Turn Point Lighthouse complex that was designed by Carl Leich in 1893 and constructed in 1894. Designed in the Queen Anne Style, the barn has a gable roof with hip on top, and measures 20′ wide by 30′ long; an open, 8′-deep verandah is located on the front elevation. Originally designed for mules, it contains three boxed stalls and a fourth bay for tack. The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Adams Farm Barn. The barn on the Adams Farm is a log post-and-beam structure which measures 23’9″wide by 59′ long. It has two sheds. There is an assortment of associated farm buildings on the site, including a root cellar, chicken coop, milk house, corn crib, and workshop.
Krumdiack Homestead Barn. Homesteaded in 1890, the Krumdiack Farm consists of a log house, timberframe barn, and several associated outbuildings. The barn, which measures 42′ wide by 57′ long, has a center drive flanked by two sheds. The log ridge pole rests upon two 20-foot high tree trunks. The Krumdiack Homestead is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Point Hammond Farm Barn. Point Hammond Farm consists of a farm house, barn, and several associated outbuildings. The barn is timber frame, with a distinctive ‘queen post’ form of bracing. The main gable-roofed section of the barn, which measures 30′ wide by 56′ long, has a center drive, which is flanked by two sheds on the south side. With the predominant winds being from the southeast, it is possible that the center drive was used for winnowing grain.